Monday, March 12, 2018

A Week of Peculiar Adventures

My sister came home from college for spring break which gave us some time to go adventuring together. We dressed up for no apparent reason last Saturday and I drove us to a quiet rivertown while listening to playlist after playlist. We ate at a local diner downtown where we wholeheartedly enjoyed our meals that were extremely fried and sipped on chocolate milkshakes. We went antiquing and saw a random man in one store walking a toy dog as it danced to the song "Tequila" sung by The Champs. It was a very random site to witness but my sister and I tried to (unsuccessfully) hold in our laughter. The man then declared to his wife that two dollars was far too pricey for such a dog and he walked away as if nothing had happened. The song "Tequila" will forever be a reminder of that dancing dog and the serious man. 

We then admired the gorgeous old houses and swore that if we both ended up being old maids, we would find a home in this serene downtown location. We decided to walk on a nearby sidewalk by the river and imagined it would be such a carefree, poetic thing to do. Little did we know that it had recently flooded in the area so sticky mud covered the walkway and the air had the foul odor of turtles and tea (if you can even imagine). Since we had our hearts set on a walk along the river, we continued on as we hopped and tiptoed over mud patches and admired the scenery...which was trees drowning in the river water. It looked a bit too depressing for our taste so we hopped back hoping to escape the lingering fishy smell in the air. It was an altogether odd and exhilarating experience but our adventuring did not end there.

If you thought it couldn't get any weirder, you are sadly mistaken, my friends. On Sunday my friends, sisters, and I dressed up as Narnia characters because it was Book Character Sunday at our church. I was Mr. Tumnus and loving it of course. Now, what would make this whole situation even odder? Well, we went to Taco Bell and the park...completely in costume. We got a couple of weird stares but we didn't mind because there's nothing better than eating tacos and attempting British accents at a park with fellow Narnians, right? 

On Friday we went to a movie theater to watch "A Wrinkle in Time". It was magical, and I may be slightly obsessed with the movie playlist now. My youngest sister, who was sitting by me, decided to put her Dachshund stuffed animal in the seat cup holder in the dark theater. I grabbed the dog accidentally because I thought it was my drink. My sister was alarmed of course and asked me what I was doing. I laughed for a full two minutes before I could explain that I thought her dog was my drink. Before you say, Eve what in the world is wrong with you? How could you have mistaken a stuffed animal for a cup of soda? Well, in my defense I had a rather long day. Earlier that day I had taken an exam that made me feel like literal death, had written a large paper, and was surviving on five hours of sleep. College has been all well and good I suppose. I wouldn't say it is something I enjoy though. Last week was midterm week which was exhausting and completely horrible. Luckily I made it through and I haven't lost my mind yet which is a plus I assume. I could go on and on about the stress of college but pondering on such things makes me feel like my life is "a perfect graveyard of buried hopes" as Anne would say.

On Saturday we went to a local event where they had a meal that consisted of a variety of meats which was ironic since I'm not a big fan of meat in general. I'd rather live off carbs for the rest of my life. I tagged along with my church to the event because the people in charge of the meal had not allowed women in previous years but had changed the rules this year. So I, of course, being the feminists I am, went to the event where I tried some very interesting types of meat. They had squirrel gravy which tasted good until I thought of the cute squirrels that were no longer living. It didn't make me feel any better when there was a large amount of squirrel hair in the gravy (which made it seem even more alive). Maybe I should be a vegetarian...

Anyway, enough about my crazy self. How are all you lovely people doing? 

2 comments: